Saturday, May 29, 2010

Grieving My Cousin's Death

Yesterday, I got a call from my mom about 11:00am. My 27 year old cousin had been in a farm accident and the doctors weren't sure he was going to make it. Of course, we got everyone we knew praying for him. He's only 3 years younger than me.

About 12:00pm, my mom called back and said he had passed away and that another guy that was with him wasn't doing well either. Apparently, they had been cleaning a fertilizer tank and were overwhelmed by the fumes.

It took a long time yesterday for this to set in for me that my cousin, so close in age to me, had died. I started reading people's comments and stories on Facebook last night and it really set in. Even though we really only saw him at Christmas every year, he was still family! It's always hard to lose a family member!

My wife and son are visiting her parents for the weekend. I'm still home because I'm scheduled to run projection at church tomorrow morning. When she called me last night, she offered to talk about it if I needed to. At this point, I don't really want to talk about it or think about it any more than I have to. I'm writing this mostly just to get it off my chest for a bit. My grieving generally is one good cry and then I can move on.

Today, I've been keeping myself fairly busy. I went for an early bike ride. When I got back, I worked on cleaning the garage. I had to pull stuff out of the attic to prepare to put old baby stuff up there. I've also done a little work in the gardens. Gotta say that I do love this nice warm weather...and sun tea!
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

4 comments:

Natalie A. said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin! That is just to young! Hang in there!

kristi said...

I am avid follower of your wife's blog. So very sorry about your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin :( (I am another reader of your wife's) It is always hard with someone close in age or status.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Matt!