Monday, November 7, 2011

Stone Soup for Supper

Saturday, we went to my parents house to visit with my brother who was home from Kansas.  We hadn't seen him for more than a year.  My dad's church was making stone soup for supper that night.  Some of you may be asking what stone soup is.  Well, it pretty much starts with water and everyone adds something they have to the soup.  It's a great way to use up excess garden vegetables!  I love stone soup.  The church I attended growing up used to make it every year.

This soup had at least 40 ingredients I think by the time it was time to eat.  It included items like venison tenderloin, chicken, pork, smoked sausage, cabbage, carrots, eggplant, onions, apples, kohlrabi, potatoes, peas, green beans, tomatoes, water chestnuts, habanero peppers, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, and much more.  This soup was amazing!  This is all cooked in a copper pot over a fire.



The time spent with my brother was amazing too.  My son was so excited to see his uncle!  They spent a lot of time playing together.  It was also fun to catch up on all the work he is doing in his job.  I'm so proud of my brother it was exciting to see where God is leading him in his job.  It is also great to have someone else I can speak geek to and have them understand me!

I hope you all had a great weekend as well!  For me, it is a short week because Friday is Veteran's day and that is a work holiday for us.
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

BethElderton said...

I used to teach Primary (3-6 YO) at a small Montessori school. Every year we told the story of the village and the stone soup, then asked each child to bring one thing from home for the soup. It was delicious every year, and the children ate everything--even the pickier eaters. I love the story. I love stone soup, too.