Monday, June 24, 2013

Buckeye Bridge Ride

Saturday was the Buckeye Bridge Ride.  I planned a little better this year for the ride.  Firstly, I had ridden several rides of similar distance in preparation.  Secondly, I booked a cheap hotel for the night before so that I didn't have to get up SUPER early for the two hour drive down.  I was able to start sometime between 7:30AM and 8:00AM.  I was done by about 1:30PM.

I chose to ride the 62 mile route this year.  Last year, I rode the 48 + a wrong turn for a total of 55 miles.  This year, my biggest accomplishment was riding all hills.  Last year, I walked several hills.  You have to understand that where I live, there really are are almost no hills.  I don't have an opportunity to train on hills.  The hills in southwest Ohio are very large in places (at least in my mind).  The worst hill, I think, was the 30MPH ride down to the Hueston Woods covered bridge and then turning around to climb back up that hill.

The end of the 62 mile route was into a headwind with sprinkles starting to fall from the sky.  I could hear thunder behind me.  I had considered running the 89 mile route, but the wind and thunder made that decision for me.  I just wanted to be done.  It's so nice to be on rides where you get more than one opportunity to decide your route distance!

I'm still trying to decide if I'll be able to do 100 miles in Indiana for the Amish Land & Lakes ride in August.  Right now, I'm doubting myself, but maybe I'll be feeling it by then.  Below are Bridge pictures from Saturday's ride.



Robert's Bridge


Christman Bridge


Harshman Bridge


Hueston Woods Bridge


Brubaker Bridge (my bike on the left)
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Holy cow look at all those covered bridges! Cool! I too am a flatlander and would be very challenged by hills.