Sunday, June 16, 2013

Preparations for Buckeye Bridge Ride

I'm scheduled to ride a 68 mile bike ride called the Buckeye Bridge Ride in Southwest Ohio next weekend.  This was my first organized ride on my new bike last year and I couldn't wait to register for it this year.  I've been working up to larger distances so far this year so that I'd be prepared to ride 68 miles on this ride.  Already this year, I have logged over 230 miles.  That is more than half what I rode all year last year and I haven't even started my organized rides.

Last weekend, I was able to get out and ride 57 miles.  It was a perfect day to ride because it was warm, dry, and there was practically no wind.  The only thing I felt went wrong was that I ran out of water around 3/4 of the way through the ride.  That's why I like organized rides with food/beverage stops!   My local bike shop gave me a sample of Sportlegs to help with my leg cramps, so I'm looking forward to trying that.  Cramps are my biggest challenge on my longer distance rides.

I need to clean up my bike for next weekend.  My chain has picked up a lot of dirt, so I really need to clean it and oil it. I also need to change my front tube because the stem broke.  It's holding air, but I don't want to risk a long ride with a broken stem.  The only other thing I have debated is getting a hotel the night before the ride.  It's almost a two and a half hour drive and I'd have to leave by 5am to get a good early start so that I can finish early in the afternoon.  I'm also hoping for good weather because right now, the forecast is for showers.  
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

0 comments: