Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vacation Planning Via Twitter

How many of you struggle to find great rates at hotels for vacation?  I know that every time I start to plan a vacation, I jump out to websites like Priceline, Hotels.com, etc.  I've also found that quite often, you can occasionally get better deals than that on the hotel's web site.

This summer, my family is planning a trip to Chicago.  I knew a couple things about staying near downtown Chicago: hotels are expensive and don't include free Internet connectivity and parking is outrageous.  I went to my usual places online looking for pricing that wouldn't blow our budget out of this world.  I just wasn't finding anything.  By the time I added daily parking, let alone Internet access in case work needs me, I was looking upward of $200-$250 per night.

Enter Google.  I did a Google search for Hyatt Regency McCormick Place discount codes, thinking I could find a code to get a lower rate on their website.  I came across Hyatt Regency McCormick Place on Twitter.  When I got to their Twitter page, I noticed that they were actively responding to guests and future guests.  I got curious and tweeted the following:

 

I got the response below pretty soon after and had to go check out the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place Total Freedom Package (Twitter Discount).



This rate, as you see in the tweet, includes a room, parking, Internet, and Breakfast for two.  Those extras add up to around $80-$85 per night.  That's a HUGE savings!  I had never thought to interact with a hotel on twitter to try to get a better rate.  To top it all off, once I had booked my room, they offered to make sure I had a top floor room with a city skyline view.  I took them up on it!

What did I learn here?  First and foremost, I learned that Hyatt Regency McCormick Place cares about their guests and future guests and actively uses there social media presence to help.  Too many companies have a social media presence, but don't really use it.  Second, I learned that it never hurts to ask when it comes to getting discounts or better pricing.

Disclaimer: I am sharing this because I found an awesome deal and because I'm proud of this company and how they are utilizing social media.  I did not receive anything in exchange for this post.
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Excellent! I think we'll be seeing more and more hotels utilizing social media this way.