Monday, August 19, 2013

My First Cycling Century

Wow, it has been a very long time since I've been here to write.  This month started with my first century ride at Amishland & Lakes in northern Indiana.  The day was absolutely perfect for riding once the dense fog cleared off.  It was in the mid 70's at the warmest and the wind wasn't much of a factor throughout the ride.  The SAG stops we amazing, offering fresh fruit (plums and blueberries we my favorites).  Other stops included some Amish homes where the children set up mini bake sales.  One that I won't forget was offering pumpkin bars and Balsam Mint tea.  That tea was amazing and I really need to Google it and see if I can find some.

This was a three day ride, but I only ended up riding two days.  Friday evening, I rode 14 miles as a warm-up for Saturday.  This 14 miles was beautiful, passing a lot of farms and farmland.  It was quiet and peaceful.  I knew I was going to enjoy the longer ride on Saturday!

Saturday morning, I woke up to a dense fog advisory.  I got dressed and drove in to the starting point.  It was still quite foggy, so I waited a half hour to allow the fog to mostly burn off.  Around 7:30am, I headed out to complete my first century on a bike.  I knew this was going to be a serious mental challenge for me to complete.  Around the 25 mile mark, a gentleman from around where I live caught up to me and we talked for a bit.  After finding out it was my first century, he passed me some Clif Shot Blocks to keep me going.  These came in very handy as I approached mile 50 and started to feel like my body might give up.

Around mile 50 or so, a young lady (couldn't believe she was a grandmother) caught up with me and we ended up riding almost the entire second half together.  It was actually quite fun riding with someone because it forced me to push my pace a bit.  She had made a wrong turn at one point and had an extra 6 miles by the time we hooked up, so she cut off the route near the 75-80 mile mark as to not go over 100 miles.  I continued on from that point by myself.

I got to Shipshewana, Indiana and had to stop for Hawaiian Ice at Kukui's Hawaiian Shaved Ice.  First of all, I needed a serious break.  Second, I had been looking forward to the Hawaiian Ice from this place.  After I finished eating, I had about 15 miles to go.  I got back on the bike and pedaled my way back to the finish line.  I was greeted by my youngest son, my wife, and my father-in-law!  It was great to see friendly faces after being on my bike for seven and a half hours.

So, how was I feeling after completing 100 miles on a bicycle?  Tired...Sore...Pain...Exhaustion...Elation...  Ya, I was feeling all kinds of things.  I got off of my bike and laid down on my back in the grass while my wife fed the baby.  Of all things that hurt, my tailbone was very painful to the touch when I sat down on anything that wasn't very padded.  My right knee was also hurting quite a bit as it had been since the covered bridge ride.  I'll admit that two days later, besides for my tailbone, I was feeling great!



I'm scheduled for two more centuries before the end of the season...Hancock Horizontal Hundred and Tour de Putnam.  These are both close to home and mostly flat.  Assuming the weather is nice, these should both be easy centuries!  I think I caught the century bug if there is such a thing!

Following this fun time, we headed out for vacation in Chicago.  We had a great time and it was nice to be off work without any major problems to deal with!
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Well done--that is awesome! I'd love to build up to a century....maybe next summer. Congrats!