Sunday, September 15, 2013

Failed Attempt at Second Century



My second attempt at a century ride was a failure.  I rode the Hancock Horizontal Hundred ride.  The first 40 miles were almost too easy.  I was pushing a 16 MPH pace which is about 2-3 miles per hour faster than normal for me.  40 miles is the point that I hit a 13 MPH headwind.  By the time we reached our lunch stop around mile 50, I knew there was no way I'd be able to finish another 50 miles into that wind.  This was the point to decide to proceed or not because there was a 62 mile route that headed back to the finish.  I figured an additional 12 miles was way easier than 50.  Because they had to change up the routes for construction detours, it ended up being a respectable 65 miles.

I was disappointed that I wasn't able to do 100, but knew I'd have other opportunities.  They had ice cream for us at the finish line and we were able to use the YMCA showers.  I was feeling pretty good when I headed for home.  The thing that made me feel better about my decision was still seeing people cyclists the highway at what would have been the 75 mile mark about one and a half hours after I finished the 65.  It would have been a very long day!

So, where do I go from there?  Well, I'll be traveling for work a couple days this week and then I'm scheduled to ride the Tour De Putnam 100 miler on Saturday.  I rode 75 with a headwind most of the way last year, so I think I should be able to easily do the 100 this year...assuming the wind isn't too crazy.

So, I'm curious...do you have certain weather conditions or other factors that keep you from your fitness activities?  For me, the cold weather and snow is an obvious time that I do not ride.
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

0 comments: