Friday, November 8, 2013

Turkey Trot 5K and Movember

My cycling has been nonexistent ever since we started a big construction project at work in October.  Besides for being extremely busy, it has also been rather cold and dark when I do have time to get out.  I'm kind of hoping the weather will be nice tomorrow afternoon so I can get out and ride for a little bit.

In other news, my wife guilted me into participating in a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  She's planning to walk it, but I feel like if I'm going to participate, I want/need to push myself to run it, even if it is at a slow pace.  I'm not much of a runner because my knees become rather painful when I try to run.  With any luck, I'll push through without too much pain and I'll be able to say I participated/completed a 5K.

In middle school, I was a sprinter on the track team.  My dad told me he used to run the mile, so I tried the mile at a track meet, with no training.  I started out sprinting and someone caught up to me and told me to pace it.  After middle school, I quit for two reasons.  One, my knees hurt too bad to run.  Two, the hurdles got too high in high school for me to jump over them.

Wish me luck!

Also, I'm participating in Movember, growing facial hair to raise awareness of men's health issues like prostate and testicular cancer.  I know a couple guys that have dealt with cancer and I want to do my part to raise awareness.  I've been growing a beard for a little over a week and a half.  If you'd like, you can visit me at Movember to find more information and/or to make a donation!


  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

0 comments: