Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Weight Loss Goal

Last year, our wellness program at work changed, using different measurements to determine our eligibility for health care premium discounts.  I did pretty good as far as my blood measurements, although they said my sugar was slightly high.  My waist size was within the recommended range.  The biggest problem they noted was my BMI being too high.  They're calculation put me at a BMI around 28.1, which is considered overweight.  I was 5'8" and 185 pounds.  We only had to meet 3 out of 5 of their measurements to get a full 25% discount on our healthcare premiums, but I really struggled with my BMI being that high.

In January and February, 2014, I've started trying to find a way to lose around 29 pounds.  I haven't gained or lost a single pound in 7+ years, so deep down I thought it was going to be really difficult.  Before I started anything, I had heard about Advocare's 24-Day Challenge, which is partially a cleanse and diet change.  I really wanted to take it on, but the price of the products for the challenge is more than I'm willing to commit right now.

In looking at the Advocare 24-Day Challenge, I read a lot about the foods they allow while doing the challenge / cleanse.  I found that a lot of it is portion size, lean meats, complex carbs, and lots of raw fruits and vegetables.  I decided I'd at least try changing the way I eat.  That meant no more second overflowing plate at dinner, more fruits and veggies, and no more potato chips in the evenings.

I've been quite surprised.  I started making changes around February 10.  I've reduced my portion sizes at dinner and when I still feel hungry, I go to the fridge for a handful of cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, berries, or some other vegetable or fruit.  What have I noticed from making these very minor changes to my diet?  Well, first and foremost, I am down from 185.2 pounds to 180.2 pounds.  That's a loss of 5 pounds and a reduction in BMI of .6 in a little over two weeks.  Other than the weight loss, I haven't noticed much else that stands out.

I have also been back to the gym trying to figure out a routine.  I go in around 6:00 A.M. so that I can workout and still get to work on time.  I also don't miss too much family time because everyone is still in bed at that hour.  I use the Nautilus circuit for weight training and the treadmill, stair climber, or elliptical for cardio.  5 days a week is a bit much, so this week, I'm trying 3 days.  I've made two days and Friday would be my third.

Hopefully, I can continue on this "diet" and get down to a goal weight of around 155.  I still have to splurge on occasion and eat something sweet or highly fatty just to satisfy a craving, but I've done pretty well at sticking to my eating plan.  We'll see how it goes.


  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Good for you Matt! Nice progress in a short time. WTG!