Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Warmer Weather Means Bike Commuting

The weather here in Ohio finally reached 50+ degrees in the morning, so today was my first ride of the year.  It was a short 3.61 mile commute in to work, but it felt so great to be back outside on my bike.  Although the cold wind made my eyes water most of the way to work, it was quite exhilarating to be out feeling the fresh air in my lungs.

I've bee awaiting this day for what seems like forever.  Every time I'd think the weather was turning around, it would either get cold or rain really hard.  I'm hoping this is finally the start of warmer weather and many more rides this year.  I've started using Endomondo Pro again this year to track my rides and I've tied it to other services like MyFitnessPal, Earndit, and Everymove.  I think there may be a few other fitness programs I've signed up for.  Some offer challenges or allow you to earn rewards.  Some are just an additional way to track my workouts.

I'd mentioned a while ago that I was starting to concentrate on losing some weight as part of our wellness program at work.  I've been doing cardio at the YMCA 3 times a week and wights 2 times a week.  I've also been surviving on a 1200 calorie diet using MyFitnessPal.  I've lost about 12 pounds in about 6-7 weeks.  I'm not tracking the time real close.  I'm more interested in getting down to a healthy weight.  I'd like to lose 15-18 more, so I have a little ways to go.  The best part for me so far has been proving that if I really concentrate, watch portion sizes, and just eat more fresh fruits and veggies, I can successfully lose the weight.

Well, as my blog name says, it's time to meander a bit.  I started with fitness and the weather.  Now it's time to just spit some stuff out that's in my head.  Our oldest son turned 8 at the beginning of March and our youngest just turned 1 at the end of March.  It's amazing to watch them grow up so fast.  I sure enjoy my time with them, although I've never considered myself to be a kid person.  I'm just amazed to watch God work in my oldest's life.  He'll be going away for a week of church camp this year.  It'll be the first time he's been away from home and mom / dad, other than going to grandma and grandpa's for the weekend.

With having the children, it's been a challenge to get the time that I feel like I need with my wife.  I really enjoyed the years of it being just the two of us.  Now, I wouldn't trade the time with my family as a whole for anything, but I do miss being able to just pack up and go away, just the two of us for a weekend.  We really like Belamere Suites in Perrysburg, Ohio, but they've been pretty booked up on weekends.  With my son being in school, it's hard for us to get away during the week.  I had found a hotel in Cleveland, the Hyatt Regency at The Arcade, and was thinking about booking a Saturday night there for just the two of us.  We hadn't settled on a week yet, but knew we'd like to do it in April.  Well, I got on their website yesterday and they are completely booked every weekend in April.  We'll find a time to get away soon.  I'm just not sure where it will be.

Well, there's a dumping of what's on my mind this morning.  I hope you are all doing well!  Have a great day!
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

1 comments:

kilax said...

Yay for your first ride! That is awesome! And congrats on the weight loss!