Wednesday, June 25, 2014

How Many Steps Do You Walk?

My company has a wellness program that allows us to get a discount on our health care premiums.  Recently, they started a challenge to encourage us to get at least 10,000 steps per day.  I didn't figure it would be too hard, but I've found it to be way more difficult than I expected!

For the first three weeks, I was averaging about 5,000 steps per day.  Apparently, many other employees were also struggling to reach 10,000 steps, so they implemented a 10,000 step club for anyone getting 10,000 steps all 7 days each week.  For some reason, that made my brain decide it was time to get 10,000 at any cost.  I've spent some nights pacing the house during commercials, but so far, I've made just over 10,000 steps each day this week.

Walking between rain showers.

I am an Information Technology (IT) person at work, so much of my day includes sitting at a desk monitoring systems, troubleshooting problems, taking phone calls, and working on miscellaneous projects that are in the works.  I only get up for certain tasks or for problems that require me to go to someone's desk.  Because my job doesn't require a lot of movement, I've had to get creative.  I've been taking the long way to get everywhere and walking an extra block when I'm outside of the office.  I've also been walking 2.5 miles outside or on the YMCA track when it is too hot outside.

Do you track steps during the day?  How many steps to you get in a day?  My mom says she easily gets 20,000 steps in a day because her job requires her to be on her feet and walking most of the time she is working.  Do you have creative ways to get up and move while you are at work?
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

0 comments: