Monday, June 9, 2014

Vacation and Cycling

We just got back from a week of vacation in Emerald Isle, North Carolina.  My in-laws rented a house on the beach and invited the whole family.  One thing I didn't get a picture of was the house.  We love it on the beach and in the waves.  Below are a few views from the house we stayed in.






This year, I decided I wanted to ride a bike on vacation, so I rented a Jamis road bike from Hwy 58 Bikes.  It was great.  I reserved it ahead of time and when I got there, they fitted me on the bike and got a helmet and lock for me.  I rode from the bike shop to the rental house, about 6.5 miles.  It was warm, but rather peaceful riding the main road along the island.  I got out several mornings early enough that it wasn't super hot, although I did get to ride in some considerable wind.  I rode a total of 107 miles through the week.  Here's a few views from my rides.





The other thing that I have to do on vacation, no matter where we go, is to try some of the local restaurants and food.

Oyster Burger at Finz in Beaufort, NC

Beer Float with Horny Goat Peanut Butter Chocolate Porter (AMAZING!)
Harrika's Brew Haus, Cedar Point, NC
This place was amazing, offering over 800 beers, along with coffee, tea, and other items.

Kitchen Sink Burger and Orzo Mac & Cheese
Jackie's American Grill, Emerald Isle, NC

Country Ham, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit and Cappuccino
The Village Market, Emerald Isle, NC
Stopped here for breakfast on a morning bike ride.

We also had a good time exploring different alcohols.  I stuck to beer mostly, but sampled wines and liquors that others purchased.  I did find an Apple Pie Moonshine that was pretty good.


 I'd like to share one last thing.  While we were on vacation, my garden took off.  Many plants hadn't done much before we left.  When we got home, the potato plants were around 3 feet tall, the tomato plants had taken off like crazy and many of the squash plants had grown as big as my torso.  I also picked a very large bowl of salad when we got home.





  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet It!
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just took a vacation as well by bike in France. We did a canal du midi bicycle tour together with some friends from North Carolina. Now we are planning our next trip, going to stay with our friends in the USA. Thanks for the trip idee. I will bookmark your blog.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

Love how much you cycle, that's great! My husband is a avid cycler who does long races and city bike riding. Thanks for showing us all these pictures!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl said...

Love how much you cycle, that's great! My husband is a avid cycler who does long races and city bike riding. Thanks for showing us all these pictures!